Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Blanket, revisited

Since the 'blankets' post from yesterday, I've been thinking about how one of Michael Jackson's kids is nicknamed Blanket. 

And how strange that is.

And how judgmental it is of me to think that's strange.

But c'mon, Blanket?  As a nickname for your kid? 

Perhaps Michael Jackson really liked blankets, and so he nicknamed his son that.  And that's all fine and well and good.  But, I like mint chocolate chip ice cream, and I'm not using that as an endearment for Gabe.  (yet, at least)

Or perhaps Michael Jackson's son really liked blankets, and so they all started calling him Blanket.  And that's all fine and well and good.  But, Gabe likes Strawberry Apple Puffs, and I'm not using that as an endearment for him.  (yet, at least)

Gabe likes to slobber and drool, and so I've used "Slobber King" and "Droolmeister".  Gabe really likes Bret, and so I've used "Daddy's little worshipper" (but I'm not jealous, or anything).  But never have I addressed Gabe as Slobber, Drool, or Bret.

Because that would just be strange.

There may come a day when I happen upon a nickname for Gabe in the same noun/object/item category as "Blanket"...and on that day I may even post a retraction.

But until then, I just can't wrap my head around it.

I mean, really...Blanket?!?

No comments: