Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

To My Husband on Father's Day

To my husband on his first official Father's Day (because neither of us thought last year's Father's & Mother's Days really counted, with Gabe being in-utero and our parenting skills being a thing of conjecture rather than a reality worthy of a full day of honoring):

Babe, if I thought you were snazzy before, it pales in comparison to how I feel about you now that you've added "father" to your list of life roles. Since Gabe's birth - wait, let's go back even further, during the preparation stage...

You came to OB appointments with me, shared my awe at ultrasound pictures, called me at work to remind me to drink more water...you came to a million baby classes with me, and supported me when I felt like labor induction wasn't what I wanted to do. You held my hand through contractions and encouraged me and advocated for me and held me up and kissed me and told me I was amazing when I pushed Gabriel into the world.

And then you immediately stepped up to fatherhood as you watched the nurses clearing his throat so he could breathe easier, urging them along in their task with fierce protectiveness and anxious concern resounding in your voice. 

You tackled diapering and dressing and swaddling from day one - perhaps a bit worried about handling a tiny baby but not letting it deter you from caring for your son.

When I struggled with breastfeeding, you were in the trenches with me as we first tried feeding Gabe formula via a syringe while I nursed, then formula via a supplemental nursing system, and then you giving him a bottle so I could pump.  You went to every lactation consultant appointment and every baby weight check appointment.  You admitted not fully understanding the depth of my sadness over not breastfeeding, but you let me cry without censure.  And you reminded me that the most important thing was our healthy baby boy.

You took on bath-time as your specialty, and the first bath I gave him was when he was almost three months old.

You took Gabe on a tour of the garage when he was only weeks old, and you put his little hand on the grip of your motorcycle, explaining to him how you guys would ride together when he's older.

You make up songs and stories and you made it a goal to learn the songs I sing to him, like 'Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes', 'Skittamarink-a-dink-a-dink', and 'Abba Dabba Honeymoon', even asking me to write down the words so you could learn them faster.

You can make Gabe laugh harder than anyone, and he adores you.  He starts smiling and waving his arms in excitement the moment he sees you.  If we're at home but you're not, he'll look down the hall to your office as if hoping to see you've appeared, and when you call up the stairs that you're home, he stops what he's doing and stares at the doorway in anticipation.

Watching the tenderness with which you snuggle Gabe and shower him with kisses makes my heart swell and I fall in love with you more every time.  I am so proud to be your partner in parenting, Bret.

Happy Father's Day, I love you!

1 comment:

Laura said...

you get a costa rica dot too