Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

April Birthdays

Papa T (Bret's dad) turned 60 at the beginning of April!   We decided to spruce up the festivities with some party decorations and while shopping for them, I saw this hat:



...and I decided that we should start a birthday tradition!

Papa T and Meemo - aren't they adorable?!


And another festive onesie for Gabe:



Then Bret's birthday came at the end of April.  A few months ago we borrowed Christina's DVD's of the first five seasons of "The Office" - really funny and we totally got hooked - so in honor of his birthday I made Bret a Dwight-ism birthday banner.

Me:  "Babe, smile"

Me:  "Babe, look at me and smile for real"

Me:  "BABE!!!!"

Me:  "Now was that so hard?"
Bret:  "Yes, actually..."
(We have had similar conversations many, many times over the past 5 years.  How many spouses (mostly men, I suspect) would like to throttle the person who invented the digital camera?)

The Birthday Tradition hat makes a second appearance.  It's possible that the hat will mysteriously disappear after Mary's birthday in July and just as mysteriously reappear in October for Sara and Gabe's birthdays.

After his birthday brunch Bret wanted to go for a hike, so we went up to Barclay Lake and Sara and Jared joined us.





On Bret's actual birthday we repeated last year's activities and bought Bret new running shoes, then went out to dinner for hot wings (Bret's birthday dinner of choice). 


Now, I know what you're thinking.  "Wow - party hats, tennis shoes, and hot wings.  Gabe has a LOT to look forward to."  I figure we're about 10 years away from copying my Great-Grandmother's classic Christmas gift of socks & underwear.  Should be an exciting adolescence for the Gabester.

...And in light of my last post about the Mercer Island Half Marathon, I will leave you with this:  Bret's big birthday gift this year from Gabe and I was a Nike+, which is a transmitter you wear when you run that tracks how far you've gone, your speed per mile, the temperature on Jupiter, the NASDAQ, the relative humidity in France, etc. etc. (obviously I'm being facetious - you can't expect it to track how far you've gone when it's busy with the temperature on Jupiter!).  Anyway, after Bret got his new running shoes, we went to the high school track so he could calibrate it, and I tried again to take pictures using the Continuous Shooting function on my camera that failed me so miserably the day of the Mercer Island Half (or did I fail it?  hmm...).   The results:


 
Look!  Look what I can do!!  Gabe wasn't nearly as excited for me as I wanted him to be.  I think he found my jubilation a bit ridiculous, since obviously there was no picture-taking pressure in this situation...after all, Bret would be coming around the track again in a few minutes! 

6 comments:

Laura said...

Oh my goodness, that picture of Bret and Gabe on the hike is KILLING me! Gabe looks like he knows exactly what's going on and is posing for the picture. Same in the one with all three of you! I swear that kid is holding out on us. I had a dream last night that he said "hi Laura" all casually to me...

Jane Regala said...

Love the pictures of Bret running, so clear and crisp, and it was actually him! Go figure! Does Gade have any shirts that don't have messages on them? Where do you get all these, and how many more are there? I can just picture him in his first grade class picture with a shirt saying "I love my Mom and miss her a lot".

Cheryl said...

I've been making the shirts using iron on letters & felt...and you've just given me a great idea for Gabe's future wardrobe on picture day! Do you think he'll be embarrassed as a jr high kid when I pull out the "I heart my mom" t-shirt for him to wear??

Mandy said...

That series of pictures with Bret and not smiling ... I couldn't stop cracking up. I think Bret and Paul were separated at birth. hahahhaa!

Anonymous said...

Here's a cool idea: for Gabe's 1st grade photo he should wear a shirt that says, "This is me in 1st grade" and so on for the following years. Luke doesn't smile either, if he does it is without showing teeth and it looks fake.
Be careful with those birthday hats. My in-laws have a ridiculous birthday-cake-hat that they make you wear on your birthday and snap hundreds of pictures of you looking like a fool. I have nightmares!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, forgot to sign my name!

~Rachel~