Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Pros call it "Table Tennis"

Bret and I have been talking about getting a ping pong table for several years, but the conversation has never seriously gone anywhere because of space constraints.  This last weekend, though, I think the onset of the winter doldrums got to Bret because on Sunday around noon, he says to me:  "I want a ping pong table."

So I say my usual:  "You're willing to give up the other half of your garage for this?"  (one half is already taken up by a trailer)

But this time he responded with a simple, unequivocal:  "Yep!"

So I said:  "Ok, get on craigslist and let's see what's out there."

8 minutes later we'd emailed in response to an ad for a free table.

A mere 9 1/2 hours later we were back at home with our new FREE* ping pong table!

Isn't craigslist grand?


It was too late to play on Sunday night when we got home, so last night we bundled up the kids and headed out to the garage after dinner.  We set Abby up in her swing in front of a heater and Gabe ran around us playing with his dinosaur set and generally trying to get underfoot.

So far we are tied at 2 games a piece.  We're pretty well matched - at least when Bret's not trying to perfect his slam/spike move on me.  He says he needs to practice so that he can beat his dad & brother next time they're over...they grew up with a ping pong table and apparently there are some old rivalries just waiting to be resurrected.  My family also had a table when I was a teenager, and I remember Dad & Paul playing a few epic games that included big slam/spike moves.  Whenever either of them would do that in a game with me I would get SO mad and whine "I don't want to play if you're going to play like that!".  It should be noted that I have already whined this to Bret at least twice.


Abby was all smiles for about 5 minutes, then fell asleep. 
Apparently we did not play games interesting enough for
her to stay awake for!


Gabe emptied the contents of his dinosaur box and kept us extra nimble as we tried not to trip over him.

Yes, these are pictures of us with our ping pong table.

What?  Is that strange?



*In the interest of full disclosure I will share that the table was located in Olympia, 2 hours away from our house, so there was an extra tank of gas required...however - since we all went to pick it up together, it's really just like we went on a Sunday drive and came back with a ping pong table!

3 comments:

The Barbers said...

I LOVE the outfit Abby is wearing. I wonder if Marianne will notice? BTW where is the trailer?

Cheryl said...

I actually sent Marianne a text w/the picture of Abby - we're getting some good use out of that cozy baby suit the past couple of nights during our games!

The trailer is out of frame on the left if you're looking at the pictures of Bret & Gabe and me & Gabe. I cropped the heck out of these pictures so you can't see how packed our garage is...seriously, to the side in the picture of Abby there's our "pantry", stacks of pregnancy clothes for consignment, tubs of Christmas decorations...it looks like an episode of Hoarders waiting to happen!!

Jane said...

Wow Girl, I think your comment is longer than your blog. Are you allowed to do that?