Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Comparison

Let me ask you something:

If you squint your eyes, and tilt your head to the left, and tuck your chin down to your chest...then do these:



Look at all like these:


??

...yeah...I didn't think so either. 

This was the birthday cake idea I saw in an issue of Parenting magazine (thanks for the subscription, Mandy!) and decided to use for Gabe's birthday party.  Tonight I did a little test run and I have no idea how those wacky folks at Parenting magazine got the food coloring in the icing to turn out such vivid colors.  I used 20 drops of red coloring and still all I got was a deep pink.  I also couldn't make the jolly rancher fruit chews (the candy used on top to make the cakes look like legos) match the icing, so I experimented with gummy life savers.  But the saddest part is that they don't even taste that good.  It's frozen pound cake with pre-made cake icing and way too rich!  So, I'm glad I did a dry run and I think I'll probably end up doing something different for Gabe's cake at his party next weekend.  Cute idea though!

9 comments:

Laura said...

They look great! Before I knew what I was reading I thought, "why is she posting about large legos?" So if you're going for comparison to the real thing, I think you got it.

Jane said...

I think they look super good. The colors you have are more like legos than the parenting ones. And I know this because I have a big container of them right next to me! Even if they taste gross you could use them as decoration. Can't you just stick them in the freezer? Wow, how do you have time to do all that?

Jack and Emma said...

Those are really cool!

Anna said...

i agree. before i read anything i knew immediately what they are and they do look really good. i think with the red food coloring, if you add a little blue, it makes the red darker. and maybe you could make them with regular cake if the pound cake is too rich? it really is a cute idea.

kimmary said...

They are great, Cheryl! And here's a tip for food coloring: use paste food-coloring (I used it in my Wilton cake-making days) to get truer colors that don't thin the icing.

Patty Douglas said...

Ok. Its cake. I have to comment. For the coloring totally use paste food coloring. You can grab it at and craft store (even Ben Franklin in Monroe is now carrying it) As for the Jolly Rancher Chews warm them a little bit to make them more pliable and you can work them into whatever shape you want (or try Starburst...) Also any other cake cut to size would work fine. :D Message me on Facebook if you have cake questions!

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the feedback all! I decided I'm going to try making these as "mega-block" legos! Loaf pan size (will take less time to frost) and cake mix instead of frozen pound cake. I thought of Starburst too, for the red and yellow top discs...now hopefully I can just find a more true-to-color green and blue. We'll see how they turn out!

Rachel said...

Food color Paste makes all the difference. Besides, I'm willing to bet that they "touched up" the magazine photos.
Try dipping/frosting the candies with the icing you use then top them on the cake. Also, it looks like your frosting was too warm which made it look like fuzzy legos.
Isn't pound cake more dense than cake mix and therefore easier to get straighter corners on your cake?
All in all, you did a great job. I don't think I would've come up with such a creative idea for a birthday cake.

Jane said...

Wow girl, that's the most comments you've ever gotten in a blog before. And don't think I haven't noticed how Laura is beating me as the first person to comment these last few entries. If she thinks she can keep that up she's got another thing coming!