Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Inauguration

I finally did it! I've been thinking about starting a blog for the longest time, because of all my snazzy friends who have crazy creative blogs...but I just never got around to it. Well, now that we're pregnant, I figured I finally have something more interesting to blog about than just the shenanigans of Bret & I.

What?? That's right, I said pregnant. We found out Saturday night, January 31. I'd taken a pregnancy test on Monday (Jan 26th), the day my period was supposed to start (hmm, do I want to include that much information on this blog? oh what the heck, this is for history's sake, so I shall throw caution to the wind!) ...anyway - the test on the 26th came back mostly negative. I say "mostly" because it looked like a pretty definite negative line in that little window...but then toward the end of the 2 minutes there was this faint vertical line showing up in the background. I asked Bret what he thought - I thought that maybe it was just the background of the test template showing through...Bret shrugged and said I should take another test in a couple days. (hmph! so practical...what about the DRAMA of it all?!? what about the angst of wondering if it's really showing up positive?!? nope, not Bret...just the ever logical voice of reason)

So, fast forward to Saturday, the 31st...still no period...took another pregnancy test and within about 3 seconds a big ol' plus sign shows up in the little window!

Bret's all "I told you! I told you you'd be pregnant within a couple of months!" (I went off the pill just after Thanksgiving...I had bet him I wouldn't be pregnant that fast - after all, they say it takes the average 25 yr old woman 6 months to get pregnant!) And now he's betting I'm having a boy, and that he'll come 2 weeks early. We shall see!

As of today I am 6 weeks along. Due date is 10/6 (at least for now - I haven't actually seen the doctor yet! My first appointment is next Tuesday, and they've set me up for an early ultrasound due to my age & family history of twins - yes, that may sound silly, but when the receptionist was asking me questions and found out I was 34 1/2 (35 is a flag for them) and that my grandmother had a twin pregnancy (though one died in utero), she said that was two "half" answers and that was enough for her to flag me for an early ultrasound. I'm quite in agreement - if it gets me some extra attention from the doc & an early ultrasound, that can only be a good thing!!)